Chimney Sweeps And Inspections
Regular Cleanings and Inspections of Your Chimney Are Crucial
People often associate chimney sweeps with that famous movie, but sweeps provide an incredibly valuable service, keeping your chimney free of wood tar, dirt, and soot. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), dirty chimneys are a leading cause of home fires.
Chimney sweeps also inspect for structural problems and soundness of the chimney to be sure it can withstand use.
In Wausau and North Central Wisconsin, many families rely on their fireplace for added warmth during the long, cold winter. Your chimney should be inspected and cleaned every year. Even households that don’t use their fireplace often need this service, as animals can nest in the chimney. This could create a problem the next time you want to light a fire.
Protect Your Home and Family with a Certified Technician
The Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) is a non-profit association that tests a chimney sweep’s knowledge about fire codes, clearances, and standards for the construction and maintenance of chimneys and venting systems. Since our grandfather wanted things done the right way, the professionals at Merrill Sheet Metal Works have earned CSIA certification, so you can be assured they will do the job correctly and efficiently.
Does My Chimney Need Cleaning If I Don’t Burn Wood?
All chimneys need to be cleaned and inspected. Although gas is generally a clean burning fuel, the chimney can become non-functional from bird nests or other debris blocking the flue.
In addition, virtually all heating appliances rely on the chimney to safely carry toxic gases out of your home, so it is imperative that the chimney works properly. Let the technicians at Merrill Sheet Metal evaluate your chimney for proper size and venting. They can also perform air quality testing to be sure your air is safe from dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), particulates, and other contaminants.
Add Your Chimney to Your Fall Maintenance Schedule
Each fall, many homeowners shift into home improvement mode. They clean gutters, garages, and basements—preparing their homes for winter. This is the perfect time to have your chimney cleaned by the certified professionals from Merrill Sheet Metal. As a third-generation, family-owned company, we understand the important nature of this service in keeping your family safe, so we don’t cut any corners. Call us at (715) 536-2262 to schedule your chimney cleaning today.
Household Tips: What You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe When Burning Wood
To aid in the prevention of chimney fires and carbon monoxide intrusion, and to help keep heating appliances and fireplaces functioning properly, the CSIA offers the following safety tips:
- Keep the chimney clear. Keep tree branches and leaves at least 15 feet away from the top of the chimney.
- Install a chimney cap to keep debris and animals out of the chimney.
- Choose the right fuel. For burning firewood in wood stoves or fireplaces, choose well-seasoned wood that has been split for a minimum of six months. Store your wood in a covered and elevated location. Never burn Christmas trees or treated wood in your fireplace or wood stove.
- Keep furniture at least 36-inches away from the hearth.
- Use a fireplace screen to catch flying sparks that could ignite or burn holes in the carpet or flooring.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Place detectors throughout the house and check batteries in the spring and fall.
- Never leave a fire unattended. Before going to sleep, be sure that the fire is fully extinguished.
- Supervise children and pets closely around wood stoves and fireplaces.
Chimney sweeps, fire crews hope to prevent chimney fires with inspections